Wednesday, July 13, 2011

video review-blog

Explain why you selected each of the FOUR videos you choose from the selection listed above.

Leonardo da Vinci:
The Mind of the Renaissance- chose this because I have always teken an interest in da Vinci’s work. The title of video could mean so many different things, I thought it would be interesting.
La Primavera-
I chose this because I like Botticelli’s work and he was talked about quite about in the first video.
The Drawings of Michelangelo-
I chose this video one, because I needed another video and two, because some of Michelangelo’s works interest me.
The Night Watch-
This video was pretty much a requirement, I didn’t have another video that jumped out at me and this one sounded kind of cool so I chose it.

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

Leonardo da Vinci: The Mind of the Renaissance
Begins lines on right, left handed, writes mirrored. Unstable temper. Goes to school for art. Ideal model for Botticelli. Become a master of perspective, then know proportions of man and other animals. The greater your knowledge the more your work will be deserving of praise. If you have no experience, do not be afraid to draw from life. First to make an actual landscape a main subject of a drawing.
La Primavera:
People take different messages from all different art works. They are all interpreted different. Primavera has never traveled more than a few miles from the city. Scale makes an impact, 3 inch thick wooden panels and 10 ft long. Primavera means “spring”. All figure (9) drawn from classical mythology. Three graces, cupid, Mercury, wing God of West wind, wood nymph, the transformed into Flora, both depicted in the painting.
The Drawings of Michelangelo:
Many of his works were kept away from almost everyone. Michelangelo would be horrified if he knew we were looking at some of his works. Some drawings are essential ingredients to the drawings that survive. Only a handful of drawings survive because most were destroyed by him, it showed his second thoughts and his process.
The Night Watch:
11 x 14 painting recreated in acting. Western art, 1642. Weighing 337 kilograms, the painting is an object of pilgrimage. Slashed with a knife, acid has been thrown at it, and has been drenched with water. Painting shouldn’t really be called night watch. Rights museum in Amsterdam is where the painting is held.

3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
I realize I write this answer every time I do a video blog but in all honesty, every video we have watched seems to emphasize our text. It is always interesting to learn a bit more detail about the paintings that we read about and how they became so great at what they do.

4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?
I thought the films were more interesting than the last few sets. A video that is 50 min long on something I don’t care to learn about is not the best idea but one that I’ve already had a glimpse of learning and I have some knowledge as to what the videos are talking about, it makes them a bit easier to sit for 40 or 50 minutes and watch. They do teach me very interesting things so I am not saying that they are not good by any means. They are very informative and very detailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment