Thursday, August 11, 2011

week eleven video review

An Introduction to the Italian Renaissance
1. Giotto brought back the realistic style of the Romans.
Renaissance was a rebirth of a great era and following this was the collapse of Rome (dark ages).
Artists during this time were not allowed to mimic God’s handy work or make works too realistic, in time works became flatter. Giotto changed this with his linear perspective and made art works appear to have depth.
2. No the video does not relate to the creation of my art criticism project. Giotto has nothing to do with this project, more so, it does not have anything to do with the project that I am critiquing,
3. I thought this film was hilarious. The acting first off, was horrible and it made it almost unbearable to watch. The monotone speaker at the beginning did not seem to help in getting my attention. I did however find a small interest in the video because I have taken both art history one and two so I am well aware of much of Giotto’s work and found that this did add some depth to my understanding of some of his art works not the criticism though.

The critics: Stories from the inside pages

1. This video told how critics serve the community by giving fresh ideas and suggesting fresh ways to look at something. Critics also open up works so people can see it in a different way.
“People that don’t know how to do, critique” –Method Man, I feel this is a good quote because it goes along with the quote, “people that can’t do, teach.”
Critics get people to think.
2. The video relates to the criticism project because it explains in depth how and why critics do what they do.
3. This film was pretty interesting, I enjoyed getting a lot of different quotes and perspectives throughout the whole video so it never got boring. I did feel like this video added depth to my understanding.

Greenberg on Art Criticism: An interview by T. J. Clark

1. Writing about visual art is tougher than writing about literature or music. It was said in the video that critics don’t need a sense of history but later in the video it was said that when art is good it is everything but it can’t be good without experience. I suppose experience is different than history but isn’t history what your experience is? Or is your experience your history? It makes some sense but at the same time makes none.
2. This video does relate to the critique project because it explains what you need to be a critique.
3. I thought this video was boring and both the interviewer and the interviewee were monotone and kept interrupting each other. This film did not add depth to my understanding except in the form that you don’t need history to be a critique which means anyone could be one, so in a sense, this project should not be too difficult given the tools I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment