Saturday, August 13, 2011

art gallery visit #3-self portraits


Self Portrait with straw hat
(1887-1888), Vincent Van Gogh


Self portrait of Giorgio de Chirico, oil painting


Frida Kahlo, self portrait with monkey
oil on canvas, 1938 (16"x12")


My self portrait


Drawing of my self portrait. Pencil


1. I selected the inspirational pieces because they are each different in some way that makes it easier to find out how I want to approach my self portrait. Did I want to include anything in the background, did I want to use color? And lastly, I grew up only doing side portraits because I hated drawing a nose; I took a chance on this assignment and did a front view, which is why I chose the side portrait as one of my inspirational pieces.

2. I find I cannot paint a portrait of anyone, I am not very good at drawing a portrait but in this case, I felt pencil would be the best bet to get the result close to what I was aiming for.

3. Making the portrait look realistic. It's hard to shade a face without looking like I have abeard so I avoid a lot of shading as well as lines in the face as it would lok like a child drew the portrait which, in this case I still feel I am far from good at portraits.

4. The photo I used to recreate the self portrait for was when my hair was long and the color I am naturally. I love everything about this photo so I wanted to recreate this specific one. I did not recreate it the way I had hoped but in certain parts of it I can't say I am not happy.

5. Realism. I used a lot of value given it was black and white, I centered it on the page just the way most self portraits are.

6. I did enjoy working on this project. It's not often I get to draw because I am always so busy. It was a wake up call that I cannot draw a sekf portrait and could use some practice.

7. I would rate my art work a 6 on a scale of 1-10, but I am my biggest critique and will always go lower so I try to improve next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment